Selecting a product can be hard, especially if you are to choose from a list of items in the market. That’s why we have put together a list of Top 10 Best Longboard Bearings 2018. This will enable you to see, understand and select the best Long Board Bearing that is suitable for your needs and Long Board.
Over time, many of these products have been made and put in the market for customers, starting from the Zealous Bearings, Bones Reds, Churchill China Reds (and US ceramics), Yellow Jacket.
There are different features to consider before purchasing a Long Board Bearing such as Style, Spacers, speed, balance, durability. So this might be a tough choice. Our list shows the Best Long Board Bearings available, from speed to durability. And this list will guide you in choosing your next Longboard Bearing that suits you the most.
10 Best LongBoard Bearings 2018
It can be very difficult reaching a conclusion when it comes down to selecting Long Board Bearings. We may not be able to recommend the best ones for you, because everybody has different taste in things, but we can show you each products description with its pros and cons and then you can pick for yourselves.
8 bearings Instructions Sticker
#3 Editor's Choice
4 bearing spacers
4 bearing spacers
0.4 x 2.2 x 4 inches
8 bearings Instructions sticker
4 bearing spacers
8 bearings Instructions Sticker
3.1 x 3.1 x 1 inches
8 professional Grade bearings
4 skateboard spacers waterproof sticker
Our list shows the Best LongBoard Bearings available, from speed to durability. And this list will guide you in choosing your next Longboard Bearings that suits you the most.
1) Bones Bearings Red Bearings – Most Popular and Best Bearing for Beginners
This is the first product on our list all the way from China, For 20 years and counting, the Bones Bearings Red Bearings also known as the China bones back in the 80s has no doubt been one of the most popular and most purchased bearings in the world because of its affordable price, speed, and durability.
This product has single, non-contact, removable rubber shield which makes it easy to clean, protecting it from the elements and also provides less friction. Added high-speed nylon ball retainer for greater strength and speed.
It comes with the set of eight bearings, instructions, and logo sticker.
The problem with the Bones Bearing Red Bearings is that they are made of steel, so professionals who are in need of extremely high-performance bearings will have to find a ceramic bearing which is harder and smoother than steel bearings, allowing them to roll easier.
Overall, the Bones bearing Red bearing is my favorite 2018 Longboard bearing for in the market. With high-speed nylon ball retainer for greater strength and speed Pre-lubricated with Speed Cream racing lubricant Skate Rated clearances, tolerances, materials, and lubricant, Includes set of eight bearings, instructions, and logo sticker. Other than that, this is one of the most affordable bearings in the world compared to others in the lineup.
- Not for professionals
2) Yellow Jacket 608 Premium Bearings – Best Bearings in terms of feature and value
The next one on our list is the Yellow Jacket 608 Premium Bearings, this product is still up and coming, and in a few more years in the manufacturing industry, the yellow jacket may beat its closest competitors in no time.
This product has some of the same features as the product above and more, it offers low-end price coupled with quality, Quality Balls designed with premium chrome steel for smooth gliding and optimal performance, adds 10 to 15 mph to your current downhill speed effortlessly.
It has the highest precision rating in the market, higher than that of the Reds. It is pre-lubed with high-speed cream to guarantee high speed and less friction out of the box. The seal is engraved by professionals to make it look cooler; and to protect it from dirt, rocks, dust, and to lengthen the life of the bearing while maintaining precision. This bearing is built for both durability and racing at a low price. Hand inspected before packaging to ensure the highest quality for customers.
The problem with this bearing is that they don’t have a good quality history that Bones have and they don’t offer a lifetime warranty on their bearings like the Reds do.
But overall, they are still one of the best alternative brand options for both beginners and intermediate longboarders. The Yellow Jacket 608 Premium Bearing is a wonderful longboard bearing that doesn’t come with a price and offers many amenities to prove it can stand with some of the best bearings in the world.
- Designed to last longer than any other bearing on the market
- Offers Top notch visual appearance
- Guarantees to deliver high speed and precision
- No lifetime warranty
- Not for professional use
- Slightly noisy
3) Bones Swiss Ceramic Bearing – Best Long Board Bearing for professionals
When it comes to Long Board bearings, Bones Swiss Ceramic Bearing has made a name for itself by surpassing every other bearing you can find in the market in terms of speed and quality.
Some people might complain about the products price tag, but the product surely made it up for the price by offering a wonderful performance and durability, giving value for your money.
It comes with an eight-pack of premium ceramic skateboard wheel bearings with four bearing spacers, instructions, a sticker, including Nylon ball retainers and Bones Speed Cream lubricant for a sustained ride.
This product is built for professional Long Boarders; it gives you the quietest, smoothest rides available. The balls are Cerbec ceramics which is waterproof and rustproof. The Cerbec ceramic balls are considerably lighter than steel, at the same time harder, and stronger giving you a long-lasting performance.
This Bearing hardly gets dirty like that of steel Bearings, helping it sustain its speed longer. It has a removable rubber shield on one side of the bearing which makes it easier to clean. When clean, these ceramic bearings will move notably faster than steel-ball bearings because the balls’ surfaces are very smooth, meaning less friction to break. These bearings utilize a nylon cage to keep the balls on the race.
Despite being one of the most expensive Long Board bearings in the world, this Ceramic Bearing still remains one of the best in the market through its history and quality.
For professionals who are looking for the best Bearings in the market, well look no more.
- Has the smoothest roll
- Can maintain speed better than most bearings
- Highly resistant to dirt and moisture
- Used by professionals
- Very Expensive
- Not that suitable for beginners
4) Bones Super Swiss 6 Competition Bearings – Advanced Bearing for doing Tricks
Bones again, with another wonderful Super Swiss 6 Bearing. It is closely related to the Bones Swiss Ceramics, except for the polished chromium ball made of steel.
This bearing possess many features from its counterpart the Bones Swiss Ceramic Bearing, such as the removable rubber shield that allows for easy cleaning, has a unique design that features six larger diameter balls instead of the seven balls used in most 608 bearings and provides less friction, high-speed nylon ball retainer for great strength and speed.
Super Swiss 6 Competition Skate Bearing is built to keep your ride smooth, fast and sustained, with one of the best reputations in the market for the past 28 years because of its high performance and quality.
It has been getting good reviews from professional users about how fast and how long they last, much longer than cheaper bearings.
This bearing can rate pretty high on the ABEC rating system if they do rate it. With precision and quietness, they can roll for days and are considered to be as fast as any other bearing in the market and also quieter than most.
- Promotes a smooth, sustainable, and speedy ride
- Resilient when handling rust, heat, dirt, and dust
- Unique and innovative design featuring 6 large diameter balls
- Guarantees to deliver a speedy acceleration, high level of speed, and better strength and durability
- One of the most expensive non-ceramic bearings.
- A couple of days often required to break it in
5) Mini-Logo Bearings – High Precision 608 Bearings
The Mini-Logo Bearings are made to the specifications of skate one, they are made by the same company as Reds and sometimes more preferred than the reds. The Mini Logos are dual shielded which helps protect your bearing from dirt and wetness (not rain) and they actually offer a better seal than the Reds.
This product fits the price tag given to it perfectly with features such as shields on both sides to keep dirt out and lube in, not many budget bearings have this. Cleaning is as well made easier because both sides are removable. The ball retainer is polymer which prevents it from blowing up like all the steel caged ones do.
Mini-Logo Bearings can be used for a long period and will still be rolling smooth as new for more than 3 months and more with riding of 3-4 times a week.
The Bones Reds Bearings might slightly have an edge over the Mini-Logo Bearings. Before purchasing this, you must have in mind that it is not the fastest or strongest, but compared to other bearings of its level and price, this product gives you your money worth of performance and even more.
- It is pre-lubricated
- Performs better than similarly priced bearings
- Features a nice and attractive finish
- Not so fast
- Not that suitable for advanced skaters
6) Bones Bearings Ceramic Super Reds Bearings – High-Quality Waterproof Bearing
Another bearing in the Bones family, Bones has more recently added these ceramic version Bearings to their products, and review from some of their users say it is faster, smoother and has more quality than any other bones products they have come across.Having one of the best reputations for performance and quality in the industry for 25 years and counting, people who purchase Bones Bearings Ceramic Super Reds Bearings knows how fast they are and how long they last in terms of quality, showing the difference between ordinary and exceptional.
Its cerbec ceramic balls are much lighter, harder, stronger, waterproof, and longer lasting than the finest steel balls, it has a single, non-contact, removable rubber shield for easy cleaning and less friction, High-speed nylon ball retainer for greater strength and speed, Pre-lubricated with speed cream racing lubricant and it rolls way better than it did with the standard reds.When you pick up your board and roll one of your regular wheels, do you notice a noise? Almost like a rumble? That's friction. But this product is virtually silent, and if you take your time to take good care to keep them by cleaning, drying and applying lube, you will get maximum quality performance out of your Ceramic Bearing.
But like every good thing, there must be a problem. It is not fully advised to get the ceramic Bearings wet even though it is waterproof unless you are ready to clean it always. Getting the ceramic balls wet will not rust it but can attract thousands of microscopic dirt when wet, the dirt can get stuck in one spot and wear a hole in the ball or the object that holds the balls in place and make them bind up.
In conclusion, these bearings are well worth your money, when bought, they spin for days before adding Speed Cream, and can spin for years after you apply it. If you are not a big fan of Bones products, this product will change your mind because it has real solid quality.
- All Bones products come with warranty
- Made of ceramic balls
- Harder, stronger and lighter while also being waterproof
- Smooth movements, high speed, and durability
- High price due to Ceramic material
7) Sector 9 Ceramic Bearings – Excellent speed for Longboards and Skateboards
Another product on the list is the Sector 9 Ceramic Bearings made for longboarding, the Sector 9 company was founded in 1993, and had been competing with other companies since then, making it one of the highest leaders in the market right now. It can weigh around 40% less than their steel counterparts and is built to fit the specification of anybody who wants to go longboarding.
This product is created to work up to 40% faster than what most of you are probably used to. Outer race grooves exert less inward force against the ball while it’s spinning. The reduction of forces lessens friction and the resistance you get while rolling.
The balls spin faster and use less energy in maintaining speed because of its lightweight.
The Sector 9 Ceramic bearings include seven silicon-nitride ceramic balls, which are corrosion resistant. They have removable rubber shields to aid in cleaning, and their nylon ball retainers hold in lubricant and keep out dirt for a long life. In other words, Sector 9 Ceramic Bearings are uniquely built to suit the needs of customers.
The Ceramics may seem slow when you first install it, but once you push it on a longboard, you will be convinced how wonderful this product is. With smooth movements and the ability to maintain speed, you wouldn’t want to miss out on this bearing.
- Starts out fast and breaks in faster
- It is unaffected by water and grime
- Extremely smooth and fast bearing
- Less friction40% more effective than other products
- Break in slower than most bearings
- Have an average price tag
8) Bones Bearings Super Reds Bearings – Upgraded version of the Reds
They are considered to be quite faster than the normal Reds combined with a reasonable price, with good speed and high quality. This kind of Bearing is recommended for beginners or intermediate skill level who wants their boards’ life to last longer. It’s a great choice either way. The bearings spin forever with the combination of Bones anodized aluminum spacers (black) and Bones speed washers/rings. Price wise, these are worth every penny for a set of bearings.
You can’t find cheap bearing this fast and more durable compared to the Bones Reds.
If you want to reach maximum speed before stepping up to "Swiss" territory, then you need to get yourselves some Bones Super Reds Bearings. This superior bearing includes a set of 8 bearings and 8 bearing spacers; it also uses higher quality steel races, better grade balls and a premium surface finish, which results in a set of bearings that are as fast as REDS, but much quieter, smoother and longer lasting. If you do get them, clean them with 91% isopropyl alcohol and relubricate them with bones speed cream, this would leave them looking and feeling like new ones.
On the other hand, these Bearings are difficult to clean and you also have to buy a cleaning kit and a bottle of speed cream, which can be time-consuming and stressful, but other than that, they are wonderful.
These are some of the most favored and reliable bearings in the market money can buy until you step up to the Ceramic bearings as you upgrade your skills.
- Comes with spacers and washers
- More durable and faster than normal Reds
- They have superior quality over normal Reds
- They are difficult to clean
- Requires a break-in period of a few hours
9) Fireball Dragon Precision Bearings – High Endurance and Speed Bearings
The Fireball Dragon Precision Bearings, These Dragons are fully backed by the Fireball Beast Guarantee which promises 100% satisfaction on all Fireball products.
This product was specially designed and created with the help of expert bearing designers to give maximum performance in the field, it offers speed, incredible precision precise steel machining and endurance, you apply light oil in the RACE for high speed and apply slightly heavier grease in for maximum longevity, and Dragons come standard with two shields on either side of the bearing which prevents dirt from getting in.
In other words, Dragons are designed to last longer than any other product in the market.
Lubricants are very important in Bearings; it provides high performance and longevity. Dragons come with one of two lubricants: ENDURE or RACE.
The lubricant for race works by using light, low viscosity oil specially formulated to increase speed. The oil allows the bearing to roll freely and quickly, but can easily be washed out of the bearing when you are using it. The Dragon Bearing can go fast without getting hot and I recommend this for racers.
While the endurance lubricant comes slightly thicker than that of the speed lube, this endurance grease lube requires minimal maintenance. This lubricant sticks on to bearing components and protects them for much longer, they can withstand water and dirt better than the Race Bearings and can even be used when it’s raining, but will not give you maximum speed. I would recommend endurance for longboards and cruiser boards.
These products are so strong and high quality that a person weighing about 250lb can get on them and still move freely without much pushing.
You can use Dragon bearings on your skateboards, longboards, Penny boards, spinners, roller skates, roller blades, scooters because they come in bearing size 608.
- Comes at a standard size, making it suitable for various applications
- Maximum Endurance
- High level of protection from the elements offered by its dual labyrinth shields
- A bit pricey
- Initially slow
10) Pro Longboard Bearings - Fastest Premium 608rs Titanium – For Professional Use
The last but not the least is the Pro Longboard Bearings.
These Precision Bearing have been known to overtake other Bearings in the field because of its special features, it is pre-lubricated with specially made lube to provide you with ultra smooth and ultra-fast qualities. It is also considered to be the smoothest Bearings out there with unmatched precision design, this high-spinning speed bearing provides long-lasting durability to support its users around the world.
These Bearings don’t just have a fancy name on them, they prove they are one of the best or the best there is, they give you your money’s worth by providing you with stability, control, and reliability than standard bearings. They come complete with 8 professional-grade bearings, 4 skateboard spacers, and a waterproof sticker. They are also easy to clean and install thanks to a non-contact removable rubber shield that causes less friction.
It can also be used for different skates such as the inline and roller skates, longboards, skateboards and kick scooters.
- Speed washers are built into the design
- Versatile that it works for various types of skates
- High-Quality Titanium
- Special Design for Extreme Loads
- Top Precision - ABEC-9 Rating
- Very Expensive
- A bit noisy
Bearings Buyer’s Guide
There are some things to look out for when buying Longboard Bearings, this will help you improve your knowledge in using different types of Bearing products in the market. There are a lot of fake/counterfeit bearings out in there that looks real in terms of packaging and appearance. The best way to identify some of these counterfeit bearings is to inspect the back of the package for some detailed words. Like the reds, you will see "bonesbearings. com" with space in between the dot and com.
Most bearings are ABEC rated while some are not, this ABEC rating means Annual Bearing Engineering Committee, which rates the precision and efficiency of a ball bearing. Bearings with higher ratings are the fastest and mostly used in medical devices and spaceships, while those with lower ratings are designated for industrial use. Sometimes, these ratings don’t matter, experience and word of mouth is enough proof of quality.
- ABEC 1: These are the cheapest bearings available and have the lowest precision.
- ABEC 3: Still on the low side, they are inexpensive, budget bearing.
- ABEC 5: most product today are under this category, this rating delivers moderately smooth and decent performance.
- ABEC 7: Bearings that rate this high is known for speed, how smooth they are, and their decent performance.
- ABEC 9: This rating at a time used to be rare, but have become more popular in recent years.
- ABEC 11: ABEC do not have any ratings above 9, so be careful when you see any company that claims to have ratings this high.
- Ceramic - The best you can get are ceramic bearings; it has 9 balls inside of it, while steel bearing has only seven or eight. The ceramic balls are lighter, stronger and more durable. They are much faster and smoother than their steel counterparts because of less friction and are also less likely to expand. They hardly require lubrication or maintenance. But ceramic bearings are very expensive and can cost double or more compared to steel bearings
- Steel – Most standard skateboards use steel material to create bearings, steel bearings usually have either 7 or 8 balls. With a consistent reduction in price because of improvements in technology and manufacturing. These steel bearings are prone to swelling because of the heat created by friction. Your bearings will perform well and last longer if you take care of them properly.
The main countries that produce bearings
- China: Before, some bearings from China are known to be cheap and have less quality, but of recent, they have been producing similar bearings that can be compared to other quality ones produced from countries with highest rated bearings. Like the Bones bearings.
- Switzerland: They are still known to make one of the best bearings.
- The United States: in America, it costs so much to make bearings so not many are made there.
How to maintain your bearings
To maintain your bearings, you need to have some certain tools and products to help increase the endurance and lifespan of your Longboard bearings.
- Oil/Lubrication: Helps remove dirt and reduce the friction between the balls inside your bearing, it can also reduce the sound your bearing makes when it rolls.
- Cleaner Kit- these cleaning kits are cheap, get an alcohol solution soak the bearing in a jar with the solution enough to cover them then shake very well with the cover on, after a period of time, remove them and dry them up then you can apply your lube.
- Bearing Removal Tools. To make it easier for you to remove your bearings from your board without damaging the axle, bearings, or meals.
My Choice: Bones Swiss Ceramic Bearing. Its ultra-fast and smooth ability, high quality, silence, and endurance, put it at the top coupled with it being waterproof. It’s a little bit pricey than most bone products but has one of the highest ratings ever.
When choosing your bearings, know that this is some of the most important parts of your board, so wisely select one that fits your specific purpose, speed, durability, quality, quietness etc.
Related Guide and Tips from Outdoorsdoc Lists: